Friday 2 December 2011

The Julie and Julia project

Have you ever watched a movie that inspires you?
Well, lately I´ve been feeling a little worn out, like nothing could catch my attention, and everything seems too much work. All that I loved is kind of lost in the daily routine and everyday worries. It doesn´t matter, I continue doing things that I like. Somehow, stop painting is one regret I have. But I never find time to do it, and I don´t really know why. And this movie really inspires me to do things I enjoy and paint again!

The other day I watched Julie and Julia. What a great movie!!!, I loved it! Julie is kind in my situation, she´s not entirely pleased with her life, and she´s turning 30.She needs to find some goals and make a change soon. She loves cooking, and when her husband gives her the idea to blog about it (which she loves) and her Idol and roll model Julia Child (an important icon in American cooking) it seems like a perfect task to take charge of her life back .
The plot develops between 2002 in NY and the early 50´s in Paris. Mixing Julie and Julia´s stories.  Julia arrives to live in Paris with her husband. She loves eating and she loves food. So she decides to start taking French cooking lessons. But she wanted the real deal, so she takes a French cooking class for professionals in the Cordon Bleu. With some friends she stars writing a book of French cooking for the servantless American people. And that book and its recipes become her life during 8 years working on it, and then, opening for her the possibility of teaching people how to cook. The couple is really in love (I must admit I felt a little envious about that…), and her husband is adorable. And when on Valentine´s day he says to her: “you´re the butter to my bread and the breath to my life”, even if it sounds cheesy, I found it lovely.
Julie starts writing the blog. At first, not even her mother reads it. But she enjoys the cooking so much that she doesn´t care if she leaves half of the payroll at Dean and Deluca buying ingredients. And the meals she prepares look delicious!
And so the story goes on. Julie´s house is great, I mean, the style is great, I´d decorated my entired house like that if my flatmate let me. And her style, her clothing: so fancy and funny! She wears a lot of brooches like I do, and she has some really good ones. And the food looks  so delicious that I´ve already decided that “Mastering the art of French cooking” by Julia Child is on my X-mas  wishlist!

I recommend it. It´s a fantastic story. And, yes, it´s inspiring for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment