Sunday 4 March 2012

DAY 57: Wondering around...


Today, I was tired, I got up arund 10, but then I finally left the house by noon. Took the bus to Candem, trying to eat a lemon muffin while the driver tried to shake the bus in every corner.
So today was a what if..., because I just wanted to be surprised by the streets.

What if I take the canal to the other direction?, I mean, I took the Regent´s canal to King´s Cross. Half way there, I took a little detour to see Amy Winehouse´s house. The street looked so quiet and so sad.  There were people leaving messages for her.
Then continued by the canal. Lots of fit people jogging and biking, and it was so peaceful. Of course, there will be a new development soon, wich will steal some of its charm.

In the way to St. Pancras, I found The Guardian building wich reflected the sky so beatifuly, and in its hall there was a sculpture of the three piggies (related to its new advertising).


Lemon muffin to star the day








It will look like this in the future


The Guardian building



St. Pancras Station is a beatiful building. And in its hall, there´s a giant sculture of a couple saying goodbye, or hello (whatever you feel they should be saying according to your mood). You can also see the olympic rings welcoming people to the city.

St. Pancras

Olimpic city





King´s Cross is by St. Pancras. I had to make a stop there to feel like a teen again and see the Harry Potter´s 9 3/4 platform. After a 15 queue, I got my picture going through the wall with the trolley (not my best picture I must say).





Then, I walked to find Clerkenwell Street. On my way I found a little flag-sign that says: MER STREET, which made that street, my street (I know, lately I´ve been a little silly with details).

My street

I also found a flower pot that served in the past for the horses to drink water.


I know you can find small burial grounds in the city, but the fact of sitting there to have a coffee and read the news didn´t seem appealing to me. Because in St. Andrew´s gardens,a quiet little park I found a lot of box tombs and headstones. It was originally the burial ground of the Church of St. Andrews´s Holborn, but in 1885 opened as a Public garden.






When I reached Clerkenwell Street I found a bunch of curious stuff. Like a futuristic public toilets, or a Magic shop, or a doorbell with a mustache, or a graffiti for the shop-lifters.

I saw St. John´s gate, and its square, and there was a walking tour passing by, so I colud hear a piece of London´s history while I took pictures. Not far away, I found another garden (St. John´s gardens) with lovely cherry-trees full of flowers.

Futuristic public toilets


St. John´s gate

St. John´s museum



St. John´s gardens





Magma

On my way to Fitzrovia I found a curious adversiting, just look at the pictures.





And, I don´t know how the wall under those windows got painted like this, any clue?


Bloomsbury square

I finally got to Bloomsbury square and turn right for the British Museum, after seeing the Sicilian Avenue, a small alley with Italian style.

Shop infront of the British Museum



No comments:

Post a Comment