Sunday 4 March 2012

DAY 58: Keats House

Today was raining all day. I hate this weather! How could be cloudless at night but today looks like this?
Again, my plan to go to Richmond has to be postponed.
But Hampstead is great, and always has some place to visit, even on a rainy day.

I went to Keats House.On my way there I had to fight with my umbrella against the wind. Surprisingly there were many people there visiting.
The house is small. But if you like Keats, and take your time in the details you could be there almost for 2 hours.

Keats began to visist  this house (known as Wentworth Place) in 1817, and in December 1818, after the death of his brother, Keats came to lodge in the smaller half of the house with his friend Charles Brown. It was in this house that Keats met and fell in love with Fanny Brawne.

As I entered, I found my favorite thing in the whole house: the engagement ring Keats gave Fanny. She wore all her life, which seems so sweet to me.

In every room you can find his poetry and some letters to read. One of my favorite letters was written to Fanny, and while reading it I almost started to cry, it was so beatiful, and he loved her so much. And his words as he was in pain all the time aching for love are beatiful.

In Keats parlour, you find the room where he worked and wrote. With a Shakespeare´s portrait he hung up on the wall, and a great window to see the garden.

In the basement you can see the kitchen, and even read about the meals they used to have then, and some recipes also.

I think is a very nice place to visit, specially on a rainy Sunday afternoon. And a plus!, your ticket is valid for a year, and you can visit again. 

A very romantic afternoon...




Fanny Brawne´s room


Fanny´s engagement ring

Keats´ room


Keats´s parlour

No comments:

Post a Comment