Monday 30 January 2012

DAY 15: SOUTHBANK, BOROUGH, SOUTHWARK AND BANKSIDE

One of my favourites parts in London is the south bank of the Thames, with all those cool museums, cafes, interesting shops and wharfs. It reminds me of a neighbourhood in Buenos Aires, where all the docks by the river were restaured, called Puerto Madero. Of course, is really smaller compared with the Southbank.

I´ve started the day seeing Downing Street, where a lot of people were standing there waiting for what appeared to be some important person. I always stop to see what people are expecting, this time the first thought to cross my mind was, some important Prime minister is coming to Downing street, then tought about William and Kate (the chances of that being true were almost imposible with kind of very few people waiting there instead of millions), and last but not least, Jude Law (I know one day I will meet him here in London, it´s just a matter of time). But after standing there for 15 minutes, some military school parade appeared, leaving me a little dissapointed.




Nonetheless, I continued walking to the Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. I´ve seen this particular spot a hundred times, but I still love it, despite the crowded it always is. I don´t know, every time I look at the Big Ben, I picture Peter Pan flying around it (latety I´ve started to think loniless is making me a little crazy perhaps). But I guess  it´s the elegance of the entire building what captures my sight.





Crossing Westminster Bridge, I´ve heard some Argentinian accent (from Cordoba this time), there´s always fellows scattered around the world. I struggled for a tiny bit of London Eye´s view to have a picture taken there, but a Lady and her baby are next to me in the pic. I resigned!. so many people was driving me crazy!

OK. I continued, along the Thames. It started to rain, no problem, I had my good coat and a hat, but then even the fact of taking pictures with that wind and thick rain was becoming an impossible task. Luckily, it stopped near the National Theatre. It was really cold and frosty. (I hate the winter!)


It took me 15 minutes and 3 shots to get a pic without people in the back.




Gabriel´s Wharf

Walking along the Southbank (in which a major part of the pavement is being changed), I found Gabriel´s Wharf. Like a "patio" with cafes, cool art and fair trade shops, bars, restaurants and estudios. In the walls you can see trompe-lóeil. The courtyard is full of wooden scultures. I think in summer, this might be a fab place, now it was so cold, that you could barely window-shop.
I recommend Ganesha, a Fair trade shop, where you can find really original presents, and goos ideas to decorate your home. I only bought a little doll (2,50 pounds).




 Trompe-lóeil and wooden sculptures

Colorful Art Shops

My little new friend

I kept walking. The views of the Thames were spectacular, I didn´t mind the cold, because it was worth it (my blue fingers didn´t share that point of view).



The Tate Modern, that old power plant. So solid, standing beside the river. The perfect place for a modern art museum. I didn´t come in, my task was to get to the Borough Market in time.
The Millenium Bridge and St. Paul´s Dome on the other side of the Thames is an incredible spot for pictures. It´s beatiful!


Tate Modern





If you continue, you´ll find a lovely laberint of cobbled streets, pubs, and restaurants. Nowadays, all under construction, making some parts impossible to walk through the crow. Even the entrance to the Globe is under construction!. There´s a replica of Sir Francis Drake´s Golden Hinde, now inaccessible because of the works in the street. But, despite all that (don´t forget the crow), it´s a really charming place.

Borough Market

If I have to choose a place in this world where I like to shop for groceries, it would be this market.
Even when I was a couple of blocks away, I could sense I was near.
The air smelled like herbs, lavender, olive oil, parmesan cheese, warm bread, etc. Everything there looks tasty. You can find whatever you want to cook properly, a reason to be recommended by Jamie Oliver.
There is such a variety of products (beers from around the globe, different kinds of seedy breads, brownies, cupcakes, cookies, vegetables, fruits, olive oil, spices, eggs, cheese, meat, poultry, fish, granola, cereals, marmelades, etc).
An the greeen Market offers whatever organics you can imagine.
As I´d already had my lunch, I only looked for a dessert. I know myself, you know me by now: a chose a cupcake!!!, with lemon icing.

Next time I think I´ll go earlier and have lunch there. So many people every Saturday.
And the Southwark Cathedral standing there like proud of its neighbourhood, making this place even greater.

My favourite Market so far.













Southwark Cathedral

Argentinian empanadas




This place has an important curiosity, Bridget Jones lives just by the market (well, call me freak, but the building in the movie it´s just by the market). Now, with the enlargement of the train rails, it´s diffucult to get a nice picture.


Beyond the London Bridge

A beatiful pier wtih great views of the Tower bridge. It was, though, such a windy spot!

You can find the  HMS Belfast too (now closed till further notice). And the Hay´s Galleria, an enclosed wharf, redeveloped into beatiful buildings and shops. With the most strange fountain in the middle of it (like a postmodern ship). And a curiosity (or a good tip for elderly people): a  Petanque pitch to hire.
I remember the first time I came to London with my mother this place was our favourite.


Hay´s Galleria


Tower Bridge and frozen Mer by the Thames.



Shad Thames

Beyond the Tower Bridge you find this street with bridges comunicating the dock buildings in both sides. Mainly restaurants and nice shops.
The greatness of this place it´s its spirit.




Shad Thames

Design Museum


At the end of Shad Thames you find the Design Museum. Last time I´ve been to this city, I didn´t have time to visit it, that´s why I was back.
I recommed the Museum shop, I could have bought the entire shop, it has such original stuff and art books.
The Terence Conran exhibition, it was fantastic. Now I know why I love Habitat so much. A very talented man, with very clear and classy ideas too.
You can also find exhibitons with new designers work.

When I left the museum, it was dark (but onlu 17,30!), and since the views are wonderful I decided to sacrifice myself for a good walk back to Trafalgar Square.




Design Museum

Replica of Terence Conran studio



Ghost 



London Bridge

St Paul´s and Millenium Bridge

Tate Modern

I was walking by the Thames when I realised the Tate opened till 22,00. So I went in.
So well-designed, I love this building!
The Turbine Hall is enormous, it makes you fell really little.
I was so tired that I rested for a while in one of those confortable sofas.




One of my favourite instalations was by Ai Weiwei, Sunflawer Seeds. A big pile of seeds, and each and every seed was made in clay and hand-painted. Very impressive.



Bridget Riley, Fall (1963)

Meredith Frampton



Meredith Frampton´s paintings suprised me. I would like to be so elegant and classy as the women in her paintings.

A great museum. If you visit, you must have in mind I´ll take more than a while to roam through its rooms.



Being really late, and my feet hurting a little, I came back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment