Sunday 15 January 2012

DAY 8: Weekend at last!

Finally, it´s weekend again!

I slept until 10 on Saturday, and then left for Hampstead, to find out if I could get internet access. In the road I passed by The Gap, with an aditional 25% discount, so I had to go in. I bought a great skirt for 7,50 pounds (original price: 49,90 pounds).
Then I continued walking down to Candem.

My original plan was going to the National Gallery, so I walked from Hampstead to Trafalgar Square (I must say my feet hurt a little when I come back home).
Here, some pics from my road yesterday.

Belzize Park Underground Sattion

Welcome to Candem








Of course, I stopped to see some shops in Candem, and also, I got T-mobile internet access for my laptop.
(I´m excited!, I´ll finally have Internet access at home!).

Between Mornington Crescent and Cambridge Circus, there was nothing important to report, but then, at the Seven Dials, on Earlham St some cool shops and vintage stores.

The Seven Dials


Earlham Street, Covent Garden


And on St. Giles Passage, a Comunity garden, so cozy, and full os plants and flowers I couldn´t stop taking pictures. I found it really a peaceful place in the center of this city.

The Phoenix Garden




When I saw St. Martin-in-the-Fields, I couldn´t believe it, I was already so tired. I entered into the church, never have been inside before, there was a Vivaldi´s concert being held.



Then, took some pictures in Trafalgar Square before the sun went down. It´s such an elegant place, but people, tourists and street artists make it tacky. For example, what the hell are some chalk-drawn country flags in the pavement?, at first I couldn´t find Argentina´s, but then I couldn´t help myself to throw a coin on my country´s flag.






Trafalgar Square


NATIONAL GALLERY

What´s wonderful about this country, is that museums are free.
That really helps everyone´s budget, when you´re visiting (you can always leave your donation to keep it this way).

As I was already destroyed by spending the whole day walking, started visiting the museum in order, so I didn´t miss the most recommended paintings.

*The Ambassadors (Holbein, 1533): impressive the skull representing Death.
*The Toilet venus (Velazquez, 1647-1651): the lady is looking at the viewers from the mirror that Cupid is holding for her. In this room a lot more of Velazquez paintings.
*The Hain Wain (Constable, 1821)
*The Arnolfini portrait (van Eyck, 1434): you can´t stop staring at it, discovering all the details and simbolism. Beatiful.

My favourites:

*The umbrellas (Renoir, 1881-6): this is one of favourite paintings ever, the blue tones on it I love. And the fact that bystared at it is like you get insideof it. And you can tell the different styles when he started and continued painting it.
*Sunflowers (Van Gogh, 1888): such a cheerful painting!, the different shades of yellows he used light up any room. And finding out that yellow meant friendship and gratitute for Van Gogh, and that he hung up this painting in the guests room when Gaugin visited him, makes this painting even better.
*The crabs (Van Gogh): I´ve had never seen this painting before. Such beatiful greens and reds.
*Three Dancers in violet tutus (Degas): hazy purples, blues and violets, in pastel.
*Water-lillies, Setting Sun (Monet), Irises and The pond and the lillies: Monet is so great!, I stared for a long time at the reflections over the pond he painted.
*The execution of Lady Jane Grey (Delaroche, 1833): impressive scene, and scary for its realism, and because it really happened.

I spent so much time staring at the marks the paintbrush leaves, and the different textures. And I came back for The umbrellas 3 times before leaving the Gallery.

By the time I left the museum, it was already dark (5,45 in the afternoon), and really frosting!
I walked down to the Big Ben, and the Thames.

Admiralty Arch

Big Ben

The London Eye


I decided to come back and take the 24 Bus when my fingers where blue despite the gloves.

For no reason, the bus stopped and finished at Candem Market, and I decided to shop for groceries I lacked at Morrison´s. I walked my way up to Hampstead again, sometimes, some cold in your face feels good.
Of course, by the time I got home, my feet really hurt.
I couldn´t help it, I love walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment