Sunday 8 January 2012

Now, in London!

Yes. It feels weird, but I´m here, in London. I´ll be here for at least 3 months, doing a rotation in the Royal Free Hospital (if everything works out fine) on Transfusion Medicine.
Fantastic?
Yes, but until I find a home to stay, and present myself to the doctors tomorrow...: I wanna go back home!!!
I mean, I´m a little scared, and it´s normal, isn´t it?
(Hope my English won´t let me down)

DAY 1: LONDON, AN OLD FRIEND

Yesterday, I was so nervous, about leaving home, leaving my family, leaving my friends, that I could have walked on the walls. I used to be independent, I don´t know why I´m so sad about leaving the people I love in Spain. Something happened to me in the last years. I don´t know what. But now I don´t like so much being alone.

Well, after a horrible and freaking slow queue at the Ryanair counter (like an hour), where they made me remove 1 extra Kg from my suitcase, I slept almost the entire flight.

I took the bus from the airport to Victoria Station, and you get to see the Tower, the Bigben, the London eye, etc, it´s nice to see they look familiar to me.

I met a girl that´s been living in London for the past 10 years, and she was really kind to help me with directions to get my hostel, in Candem Town and help me get my Oyster card.
The hostel is horrible! (typical of a London hostel...), cheap, by horrible. Doesn´t matter, I´ll live through this days, but please God, help me find a flat to share soon!

DAY 2: GETTING AROUND

Yesterday when I arrived I  had change the time (1 hour earlier than Spain) in my watch and in my phone, or at least I thought I did. Because, I woke and hour later!, doesn´t matter, I woke up with a migraine and I wasn´t feeling like having breakfast. But, knowing my usual mistakes with time changes, it´s a small mistake.

I decided today was meant to walk around Candem, and get to know Hampstead.
I found a really easy way to get to Hampstead from Candem, if you walk straigh Candem High St, it transforms into Chalk Farm Road, and then into Haverstock Hill, so you reach Belsize Park, and only two blocks beyond the underground station you find Pond St, and there it is, the Royal Free Hospital!, If you continue walking down the street and turn left, you find Hamsptead Heath underground station, and the Heath itself too.
It´s beatiful, though in the winter it may look grey, it´s nice. With a pond full of ducks, and a park full of children playing, and dogs running free. Great. I´d really like to find  a place here, or in Belsize park.
There´s a Mark ans Spencer by the Hospital. It´s my favourite shop in the hole world!, more than Dean and Deluca´s. It´s full of tasty stuff, and gourmet food. Everytime I visit England I buy a lot in this shop.

That, I call marketing

The NHS Royal Free Hospital 

So, here I am now, in a Starbucks (thanks God for wi-fi!!!) resting a little.

Some facts that I´ve realize today:

- My integrity is in danger!, If I have problems crossing the street everywhere they drive on the right side, imaging me here, where everything is backwards (starting on the side of the sideway you walk, or the bus door, etc). So it´s really important to: RESPECT THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- It´s really cold today, but not as much as I had imagined. I broght my huge coat, that it is really light and it seems like I´ve been swallowed by a big black marshmallow. And when I´m walking I´m not cold at all. But, if you stay still for a while, this wet and cold wheater can even reach your bones.

And now, I guess I shall have a little lunch.

Promise pictures for tomorrow (if I survived my interview and first day at the Hospital!)

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment